How Much Does a Foam Roof Installation Cost?
If you are looking for an alternative to the standard roof in your new home that's light weight, especially eco-friendly and helps you cut down on energy consumption, consider a foam roof installation. This type of installation is very common but it is still surrounded by many myths.
There are two main types of spray foam insulation, namely open and closed cell. Open cell insulation is softer and can be crushed in your hand, whereas closed cell is more rigid to the touch and offers more insulation value. Closed cell is the superior product but it does cost more.
Are you as a homeowner considering a new foam roof installation? Remember, this is not a simple DIY task, and you will require a professional contractor with specialized skills, tools and experience to get the job done correctly. It's highly recommended that you compare quotes before beginning your foam roof project. This way you'll get the best value for your money.
How Much Does It Cost to Install a Foam Roof?
For this cost guide, we will base our calculations on an average sized 1,200 sq ft area. It's also interesting to note that, in the roofing industry it's very common to be quoted on per square basis ( 1 square = 100 sq ft ).
By looking over some of the factors that will influence your cost, you will be able to better calculate a budget for this type of installation. Some of the elements which will influence your costs will include:
- Materials - The application of a foam roof is much the same as foam insulation. It uses a spray process using a particular chemical reaction that expands, much like the foam spray you pick up at the hardware store. Typically, this is going to run around $2 per sq ft, although there are some slight variations, for example, thicker or double layers which can make it cost slightly more. This typically increases the price by $0.50 - $1 per sq ft. Over a 1,200 sq ft roof, materials should cost between $2,400 - $3,600.
- Contractors - Not all contractors offer the same services and sometimes specialized contractor are called in to assist with a particular installation project, increasing the overall cost.
- Labor - Labor is almost always the most expensive cost to cover when it comes to foam roof installation. You are going to pay $2 - $3 per sq ft, and remember that not all contractors offer this kind of service. On an average roof, however, labor costs should set you back anywhere between $2,000 and $4,000.
- Roof size - It's always good to have an understanding of the size of your house so you can come up with a reliable value estimate. Square footage really has everything to do with the final price. The larger the roof, the more expensive it will be.
- Regional pricing trends - Contractors in different regions will charge different prices due to several factors. Request a free estimate from contractors near you to get a feel for a breakdown of the pricing trends in your area.
Other Factors To Consider
There are some factors which will increase your overall cost to install a foam roof:
- Underlayment - Underlayment is a waterproof membrane that helps to prevent moisture and other elements to from accessing your roof. It is often a requirement, so be sure to check your local building codes. Underlayment will cost you anywhere between $0.61 - $0.90 per sq ft. This totals anywhere between $700 and $1,000 to cover an average 1,200 sq ft roof. This price should include all planning, equipment and material acquisition and area preparation
- Leaks - If you never want to deal with leaks you can add roof sealers to the installation which would naturally cost more. You can expect to spend $800 - $1,000 to cover a standard roof size.
- UV protection - Living in a high sunlit area may also require a protective layer over your new foam roof. This will block more UV rays and can increase your overall cost by 33%.
Also, keep in mind that roofs with lots of architectural details and other obstruction will require more time to get the job done. Should you have skylights, pipes, or chimneys to work around, the overall cost to install your foam roof may increase.
Final Cost Breakdown
As you can see, the overall price of a new foam roof installation can vary significantly.
On the low end, for some basic foam roofing with a standard R-value, expect to pay anywhere between $4,800 and $6,000 to cover an average sized roof.
On the higher end, some homeowners pay in the region of about $8,500, but this can even be as high as $10,000 should you opt for an extra roof layer, materials with a higher R-value and also some obstructions on your roof.
This puts the total cost to install your foam roof anywhere between $4.00 - $8.30 per sq ft.
With all the above, you'll have a rough estimate so you can prepare your budget for the final bill.
Get a Free Estimate From Local Contractors on Your Foam Roof Installation
If you would like to get in touch with local professionals for a more accurate breakdown of the cost to install a foam roof on your property, you can do so right now.
For a more localized quote, simply enter your home zip code in the space provided on this page below.
You'll be connected with some of the very best contractors in your area who specialize in foam roof installation.
Fill in your zip now, and you will receive your 100% FREE, no-obligation estimate. Remember, there's no obligation to purchase, hire, or sign any contracts, so feel free to enter your details now to get some professional assistance