How Much Does an Architect Cost?
Contrary to popular belief, architects do quite a bit more that just draft plans for buildings. Once on the job, they'll have a lot on their plate, like finding the right contractors for the project, guiding it through the necessary approval procedures, as well as overseeing all of the construction.
How Much Does It Cost To Hire an Architect?
The total cost of an architect usually comes out to between 10 - 17 % of the total project budget, and this can range anywhere from $800 to $14,500, but the cost of most architectural services can be more easily estimated by breaking them down into the costs per construction phase.
Most American homeowners, however, tend to spend in the region of about $5,000 on their cost to hire an architect.
Architect Cost Breakdown
Here is where the money goes:
- Screening interview: The purpose of the screening interview will be to determine the total scope of your project as well as to create an overview of the client's goals, and needs. A preliminary budget should be established by the time this interview ends.
- Follow-up review: During the follow-up meeting, you will review the work proposed, the architect's outline, and the standing budget. This should require between 5% to 10% of the previously established budget.
- Schematic design: Once you are ready, the architect will draft the floor plans and elevation sketches, meet with planning agencies to affirm standards and necessities and collaborate with any structural engineers. Expect to spend 10 - 15% of your established budget on this phase.
- Final design: During the final design phase, your architect will finalize the drawings, incorporate all the details about materials, finishes, equipment, fixtures as well as any and all systems which are to be a part of the final product. By now, your architect will have begun to function more as the project manager. He or she will review the standing plans, compare them to any local building codes while, at the same time, acquiring all the requisite permits. Expect to spend between 15 - 20% of your budget on the final design phase.
- Selecting a contractor: Next, contractors must be selected if any are to be needed. Finding and selecting contractors is the property owner's responsibility. You may, however, expect to be able to ask your architect for guidance in selecting the right contractor for your project. Contractor expenses should consume roughly 5% of your total budget.
- Construction document completion: Finally, the construction documents will describe the entire project in complete detail. This is when building permits are typically submitted and should consume between 40 - 45 % of your total budget.
- Construction administration: Admin should also be done no less than once a week. This is to ensure that any changes the client makes are approved, that the contractor's pay requests are accurate, and that all of the final details are finished or corrected by the contractor. This phase should cost between 15 - 20% of your total budget.
If you are ready to take on any large construction project, it's highly recommend that you compare estimates from architects in your area to get a fair idea of pricing trends in your region. It's equally important to check references as well as view previous projects they may have been involved in to ensure you are dealing with a certified architect.
How To Get in Touch With Top Architects
This is only a very basic outline of the work you can expect your architect to perform and help you figure out what you can safely allocate towards architect costs.
It should, however, give you a clear idea of the amount of responsibility that can rest safely on their shoulders.
If you would like to get a more accurate estimate on the cost to hire an architect, you can do so now with the help of Homes Ace. And the best part is, it's 100% FREE!
Get Your Free Quote
For a 100% FREE, absolutely no-obligation estimate from local architects, simply enter your home zip code in the area provided on this page.
Remember, there are absolutely no contracts to sign and no hidden costs, so feel free to enter your details now to take advantage of this offer!