How Much Does Furniture Refinishing Cost?
An old coffee table, chair or any other piece of furniture doesn’t necessarily need to head to the dumpster. Wood finds its versatility in its flexible restoration capabilities. A couple of hours at the hands of a professional carpenter could be all you need to restore your old furniture to its original glamor. If your furniture is structurally sound, the process will involve stripping old paint and sanding down the wood before applying a fresh coat of paint or stain.
The cost to refinish furniture will vary from one place to another. Here are some cost estimates and the most important factors that will determine your furniture refinishing bill.
How Much Will It Cost To Refinish Furniture?
Expect to spend as little as $100 on minor furniture refinishing, and up to $400 on bigger projects. Most contractors will base their pricing on the size or type of the furniture. For instance, you might have to pay different prices for a simple table as opposed to a complex sofa. Most of the homeowners will spend an average of $200 to restore their furniture.
Other simple things that will determine the cost to refinish furniture include:
- Any structural damage to the furniture will force you to buy spare wood and pay the carpenter more for the restoration
- Exotic finishes that are more complex that mere painting or staining will cost you more
- The local market price for the finishing products you choose to use on your furniture
Making the decision between repairing and replacing will ensure that you do not waste time on something that has outlived its purpose. A professional will be able to provide the best advice based on their years of experience and knowledge. Ask questions and compare furniture refinishing estimates for the best service and value for money.
When To Repair And When To Replace
There are two main ways to value your furniture before making the ultimate decision.
- Anything with sentimental value will be worth repairs no matter how expensive they might be
- If your furniture has no sentimental value and the cost to refinish furniture almost equals the cost to replace, you should consider replacing
- You might also want to keep exotic furniture made of high-quality wood or classical designs. It would make no sense to replace an original Georgian furniture set
Choosing a Professional Vs. Going DIY
Some of the furniture refinishing projects are easy and could be tempting DIY projects. Cosmetic finishes that involve simple sanding and staining could easily pass as DIY projects. In this case, your cost to refinish furniture will be what you spend on the sandpaper, the stain, and the brushes.
However, if you are dealing with structural repairs or exotic furniture, you might consider hiring a professional to ensure that the restoration is done the right way. A professional carpenter will not only complete a professional furniture refinishing but also ensure that little or no damage is done to the furniture’s original aesthetics.
Free Estimate From Local Professionals
Simply enter your zip code in the space provided on this page to receive a 100% FREE furniture refinishing estimate.
There's no obligation to purchase, hire, or sign any contracts, and it's a great way to decide what is possible given your budget.
Registered professionals in your locale are ready to help you restore your furniture to prime condition. It will look better than the day you bought it.