How Much Do Garage Builders Cost?
Are you running out of space in your home? Tired of misty or snowed up cars during those cold winter months? Professional garage builders may be able to solve all your problems by providing you with a space that has a variety of worthwhile benefits.
A garage lets you park vehicles and lawn equipment in an area which shields them from harsh weather, vandals, and thieves. You can also use it to store seasonal items that won't fit in your closets. Maybe you're a hands-on person and require shelter while you maintain or repair large machinery. Whatever the purpose, owning a garage provides you with many advantages.
If you decide to construct a garage, you will need to hire a professional garage builder able to perform a range of architectural, carpentry, and electrical related tasks.
If you are wondering what the cost to hire garage builders are, the first questions to ask is, what type of garage are you planning to build?
Consider the following factors of building a garage.
Detached vs. Attached Garages
Although you'll be charged the same per-unit and hourly rates for both detached and attached, a detached garage construction demands more materials and labor. In fact, a separate building normally costs more than twice as much as an addition. It requires extra siding, another wall, and more electrical work. Nonetheless, both options offer certain advantages.
An attached structure is easier to access from the house, and it allows drivers to enter the home without being subjected to outdoor weather conditions. On the other hand, a detached garage reduces the risk of living quarters being exposed to fire, smoke or engine noise.
Whether you require garage builders for an attached or detached garage, it's recommended to compare several quotes in order to get the most competitive price possible. Also, be sure to check for references and check all the paperwork before you sign on the dotted line...
How Much Does It Cost To Build a Garage?
The biggest factor is the number of cars a building can accommodate. Compared to an equivalent two-car building, you'll pay up to 50% more for a detached structure. Another important consideration is the number of windows. But, what other elements can affect construction costs? Consider the following cost breakdown.
- Materials: The materials you choose will also have a huge impact on the cost to build a garage. For example, aluminum roofing is considerably more expensive than asphalt shingles. Siding and garage door materials play major roles as well. Purchasing higher quality materials can bump costs up by another 20%.
- Labor: A large portion of the cost to build a garage goes towards paying for labor while materials make up the bulk of the remaining bill. Building a garage may require the expertise of multiple contractors each with varying hourly rates.
Materials Cost Breakdown
Here is a breakdown of some of the materials you can expect to pay when you are building a new garage:
- Concrete: Concrete costs $75 per cubic yard on average. Installing piers and pouring concrete to cover a 540 cubic feet area will cost $1,500.
- Shingles: When it comes to shingles, expect to spend $80 - $100 per sq ( 100 sq ft) on this roofing material.
- Lumber: Lumber prices vary throughout the year and by region. This project would typically require 2 x 4 wood framing and a gable truss roof.
- Siding: Installation of vinyl siding and trim usually costs around $7 per sq ft installed. Therefore, a 920 sq ft area would cost roughly $6,440.
- Gutters: Aluminum and alloy gutters go for $4 - $9 per linear ft. A cheaper option would feature vinyl gutters, $3 - $5 per linear ft.
- Wiring: Your new garage will need to be wired, expect to spend $70 - $90 an hour for an electrician.
- Lights and numerous other components: This cost will depend on how much work must be done. A 100 amp breaker is necessary, and if you are building a detached garage, an independent panel as well.
- Windows: Contractors charge at least $300 per window and take an average of 3.5 hours to install each unit.
- Garage doors: Installation of a single 3 ft x 7 ft door including glass and lock set, averages $250 - $1,000. Double overhead doors, 9ft x 8ft, with a motorized garage door opener, costs $400 - $900 depending on the design and quality. Additionally, you can expect to pay about $650 for each automatic door opener.
Should you employ a general garage builder, they may be able to provide you with several services and you may not have to have several contractors working on your property at once. The cost to hire a garage builder will depend on the extent of your particular building project and you will have to get in touch with a local professional for a more accurate breakdown of the cost. However, here are some of the contractors you may need:
- Painters at around $25 per hour
- Electricians average around $70 - $90 an hour
- Carpenters charge $75 an hour on average
What Can I Expect to Pay For My New Garage?
Based on national averages, the minimum you might spend is $7,500. This should cover the cost of a basic attached garage with enough room for one car. Typically, however, homeowners tend to pay more in the region of about $46,000 for garage builders to construct a two-car garage space.
On the high end, you could spend as much as $86,400, especially if you want four vehicle bays. Top-notch roofing, siding, and flooring will also help push the price this high. Remember that garages can pay for themselves in some ways. They enhance property value, and many energy-efficient materials qualify as tax deductions.
Keep in mind that the abovementioned estimates are based on nationwide construction data. This service may cost substantially less, or more, in your local vicinity. Differences in permitting fees, building codes and commercial taxes can affect the price drastically.
How To Get Your Free Localized Quote
This is a major project and contractors must take numerous round-trips, so local fuel prices, travel distances, and traffic conditions also affect the total expense.
You can request a precision estimate on the cost to build a garage from registered garage builders in your locale. All you have to do is simply enter your home zip code in the space provided on this page below and a professional in your area will contact you to discuss all your options and offer you a FREE estimate. There's absolutely no obligation to make a purchase, hire, or sign contracts whatsoever and there are no hidden costs. Simply enter your details for some free professional assistance from one of our selected experts.